Wednesday 29 April 2009

My understanding of diplomacy

I have to confess that at the beginning of this module, my knowledge of diplomacy was somewhat limited. I was very aware of the classical aspects of diplomacy such as the pomp and ceremony that accompanies it and areas such as consulates and embassies. I can now safely say that my knowledge has greatly improved and I have found the module fascinating.

I can now see the advances that diplomacy has made, from the secretive narrow minded world of old to the all encompassing, high speed, multilateral diplomatic world we now have. I personally believe that the inclusion of MNCs, NGOs and other groups is a great thing. Bringing many different fields together to tackle major problems facing the world as opposed to the older form of diplomacy, combined with new approaches such as shuttle diplomacy has made a great deal of difference issues like the environment and human rights. Prior to this module I didn’t realise the extent to which MNCs and NGOs were involved in diplomacy.

Overall I don’t feel that there are or were two rigid types of diplomacy, old and new but diplomacy has in-fact evolved and moved with the times. Events such as the first and second world wars changed the world and with it diplomacy has followed suit.

In this modern world speed is of the essence and through knowledge crucial. This again is something the diplomatic community has realised with diplomats’ now being well educated individuals from differing backgrounds instead of coming exclusively from the aristocracy.

I do feel that some elements of secrecy are still valid today, particularly in regard to security, a vital area for all states and an area which should not be open to scrutiny in the public domain.

Overall diplomacy has changed massively over the years and will continue to do so. For some to suggest that it is outdated and unnecessary seems an illogical argument.

1 comment:

  1. J-Martin,

    I totally agree with you and i agree that secrecy is still very much present and even essential in the conduct of diplomacy in today's politics.The preservation of security has become a focal point especially to Western powers such as the USA or UK where the threat of attacks is greatly feared.The question remains: will the return to soft power to iniate a constructive dialogue with their opponents be effective or is it a little too late?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.