Sunday 26 April 2009

My understanding of diplomacy today

Looking back on my first blog post and reading what I wrote two and a half months ago makes me think about how my understanding and my perspective of diplomacy has transformed. I must say I only knew the basic understanding of diplomacy before taking this module. Reading the origins of diplomacy was very educational as well as Brian whites in take on diplomacy, moreover how he distinguished between traditional and current forms of diplomacy. Furthermore I have obtained a wide variety of information regarding Non State actors and there input in the practice of diplomacy. By reading about multi-lateral and by-lateral diplomacy, I have a better understanding of how states and other entities conduct themselves regarding diplomatic matters in International Relations. Reading over many of the case studies during this module surrounding diplomacy taught me and helped me to distinguishes between old forms of diplomacy for example bilateral diplomacy, security diplomacy trade diplomacy, track 1 diplomacy and the present form of diplomacy
My understanding of diplomacy today also assists me in understanding the new concept of diplomacy, also how diplomacy is evolving dramatically. Environmental diplomacy, track two diplomacy NGO’S and in some sense trade diplomacy, shuttle diplomacy and multi-lateral negotiation are now considered as new diplomacy. My understandings of all six concepts of were primitive, now I have a better comprehension of all of these impressions of diplomacy. For example the notion of shuttle diplomacy, this form of diplomacy was displayed during the Arab- Israeli conflict which occurred in 1967In 1973 Former U.S. secretary of state Henry Kissinger was the individual who coined the term “shuttle diplomacy” because of the numerous amount of times he went back and forth between the two groups and the U.S. by aircraft.
Diplomacy today in my opinion has some new challenges to face, globalization, the environment/ climate change, depleted resources and currently the economic crisis. Several of these form’s of diplomacy, which I have mentioned may be able to encourage many different entities to resolve these problems together by summits and multi-lateral talks. For instance the Rio summit Brazil in 1992 encouraged State leaders to reduce the amount of c02 they put into the Earth’s atmosphere. This summit was attended my several NGO’S heads of state and other organizations. Due to the fact that Ngo’s and the media were involved during the summit allowed the public to become aware of climate change and to act in reducing the damage. Currently 190 countries have signed the Kyoto protocol an agreement which was created due to the Rio summit in 1992.Diplomacy today does not just relate to embassies or state visits, but a whole Varity of different ideas, entireties and organizations, one thing I have learned over the past few months is how the Practice of diplomacy has become versatile and open to new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.