Tuesday 28 April 2009

My understanding of diplomacy today?

My initial understanding of diplomacy was more in line with the traditional notion of diplomacy seeing it ‘just’ as the formal interaction between states either on a bilateral basis or on a multilateral basis without really appreciating the versatile nature and the openness and inclusiveness of issues and actors. However, over the past months I have managed to get a more in-depth insight into the multi-levelled diversity of issues and actors which all play an important role. Nevertheless, I am now aware of the increasingly complex nature of diplomacy, but as many of my fellow bloggers I too do not agree with the distinction between so-called ‘new’ and ‘old’ diplomacy as I have earlier stated I do not believe they are mutual exclusive, but they can complement each other as 'old' instruments, structures and processes have not become obsolete despite of globalisation and its ‘blessings’ but has adapted as new tasks have appeared and will continue to do so.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of using terms such as new and old diplomacy we can simply talk about the evolution of diplomacy because as you said they both complement each other.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.