Thursday 30 April 2009

My understanding of diplomacy today:

Since I choose the module I though it will be interesting topics and I was right. As many of my colleges I though all about diplomacy were embassies, bilateral relations and the ‘high politic meetings’ behind close doors. And I was completely wrong, now my understanding of diplomacy has gained enough knowledge about the subject, for today can discuss and analyze it. Today I know the outmode ‘bilateral relations’ had left it place to a more dynamic ‘multilateral relations’ a modernizing to the so called ‘old diplomacy’ to a ‘new diplomacy’ something that when I started the module I did know it exists. Examples as the G20 give place to this new diplomacy, with more open institutions, and how states conduct its policies in International Relations.

The participation in ‘new diplomacy’ of non state actors was something I briefly knew, now I know their great influence in the conduct of diplomacy, the huge impact of MNCs principally in the third world, the way they operated or they react to international and national policies. This module gave the knowledge that diplomacy its not just about politics, parliaments and security, that is also about public, trade and environmental diplomacy. The importance of NGOs or celebrities in environmental issues, such as Green Peace, Princess Diana or Bono who help widely around the world making a significantly difference in most of the cases. On other hand an open Trade diplomacy has transformed the economic system, the creation of the World Trade Organization or movements as ‘Free trade and Fair trade’, giving a chance to the society to participate in a more direct manner and at the same time benefiting to those who were not receiving what they deserve.

This module, has showed what is the real diplomacy that nations play, from the ‘old diplomacy‘ full of secrecy to a ‘new‘ transparent diplomacy. Although the basic and main ideas still are in both of them, new diplomacy has modernized and developed it to confront the new challenges a globalized world requires.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.