Wednesday 29 April 2009

My understanding of diplomacy

Looking back to the beginning of the module, my knowledge of the various kinds of diplomacy, its history and the ways in which is has evolved was quite limited. I viewed it as a process of negotiations and discussions in state-to-state relations. I am now aware of the different forms of diplomacy - trade, environmental and security - and the way in which the processes of diplomacy differ between them. Furthermore, it is now clear to me that diplomacy is not exclusive to states. It can encompass NGOs, MNCs and even celebrities, and increasingly we are seeing these actors as significant diplomats. Having explored the idea of a 'new' diplomacy, it seems clear that rather than a defined difference between 'new' and 'old', the process of diplomacy has evolved and adapted in order to accommodate new actors, conference diplomacy, shuttle diplomacy, openness and inclusivity. These changes have been brought about by technological advances like the internet, cheap air fare etc. Some argue that these changes undermine the relevancy of diplomacy today - however during the module, exploring the work of embassies and other diplomatic activity has highlighted that it still plays a vital role in the international system. In saying this, it is apparent that elements of 'old' diplomacy still remain, particularly when looking at security issues we can see that the element of secrecy and exclusivity is still present. Overall, what I have come to understand is that, if indeed there is a clear 'new' and 'old' diplomacy, that the two forms are not mutually exclusive and can be in play alongside each other within the international system. Overall, my understanding of diplomacy has increased significantly and I have been suprised at how much there actually was to learn. I would say that I have developed quite strong opinions regarding certain aspects of diplomacy, particularly the role of non state actors. There was far more to diplomacy than I had orginally anticipated and I have thoroughly enjoyed the module.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.