Thursday 26 February 2009

Brian White on Diplomacy

“In general, however, it was quickly discovered that honesty rather than deceit is more likely to be effective in achieving objectives, whatever short-term gains might be made by more duplicitous behaviour.”

The above assertion of Mr White’s is a bold one and dismisses the realist principle of relative gains. The prisoner’s dilemma has been the basis of study, curiosity and indeed tv game shows. If we are to take this blog as an example of a social grouping that simulates relational trends we can apply these opposing principles.

White defines diplomatic gains as long term. Therefore to blog on White academically can only bring me relative gains as, if I was to dissect White’s broad analysis, my act would simply be a formative one. The points of my peers which have been varied, insightful and provocative would leave my own analysis in a diminished and relative position.

However, mine and your long-term diplomatic gains can only be defined as continued, broad participation in this lovely blog. Therefore to simply post on a subject that has been posted to death would render my blog unread and un-stimulating. I endorse Mr White’s claim and dismiss that of realist-based, relative self-interest. Join me in looking to the future and avoid the dry regurgitation of a textual analysis.

1 comment:

  1. Gavin it looks like you’re having fun with this blogt thing? I do understand what point you’re trying to get across. Diplomacy is a difficult concept to define and at times to comprehend. National Interest of the State always springs into mind regardless, even if your are discussing about the old or new form of Diplomacy. I like how you used the concept of the blog on trying to make sense of Brian whites take on diplomacy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.